Video spotted on Instagram of a fire outbreak at the maternity ward at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital was heartbreaking as many babies were pushed to safety.
In the video, a nurse is seen pushing the babies who were sleeping in the ward out of harm’s way as the fire kept spread.
The voice behind the video is heard pleading with the public to help them quench the fire as the fire service is delaying.
The situation was put under control and no baby was harmed hospital management says.
The Public Relations Officer for the Hospital, Mustapha Salifu described it as an exaggeration.
According to him, an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom caught fire, but the situation was quickly contained.
“The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service(GNFS).
“As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.
We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff. We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism,” he added.